Wednesday, October 8, 2008

14 years ago

It was 14 years ago today, that I was a 20 year old college student sitting in The Grill. That night my life, my relationship, and my future changed...forever.

It was that night, as Scot and I shared an order of chicken fingers and fries, we finally said those long awaited words... "I love you!"

He actually said it first, but we both had been feeling it for a long time. I knew in my heart that he was the one God had chosen for me to spend the rest of my life with...we both did, but our relationship was only 6 months old and we were taking things slow. We both had been hurt before and wanted to make sure that the next time we said those words to someone, that it was THE PERSON.

But still, those were the words I longed to hear from him and I longed to say them to him! But I patiently waited for him to be ready to express a deep committed love.

I am so glad I did. It was so worth the wait!

I am so thankful that we became friends first. That we allowed our relationship the opportunity to grow deeper even before expressing our love for one another.

The beauty in it all is I knew once he said he loved me that he was committed and that he knew in his heart that I was THE PERSON.

Now, this many years later, that same love we expressed that night is deeper and stronger than I ever could have imagined. I only thought I knew what love meant back then ....I never realized how much it grows and changes and gets better and stronger and I that I would fall in love over and over again...it is just so amazing!

The reasons I love him keep multiplying! The way he looks at me across the room, the playfulness he has with our children, the husband and father he is, the big and the little things in life, the important and the mundane tasks..doing it together with him, it ALL just makes me love him more.

The love we have shared so far, seems like just a drop in this vast bucket of love that isn't quite full yet...I guess we still have many more years to go before that happens! And even then, I dare say, it will never be full. Because with each new day, I love him more and as long as I live, he will be the only one I love, the only one who has my heart!

Scot, thank you for loving me like you do. Thank you for keeping it fresh and new and exciting. I look forward to loving you now and forever...always!

No comments: